Diversity drives innovation! Scotland is well known not only for its excellent museums, art galleries, bustling cities, icy mountain peaks, and charming villages but also for the diverse people that come to study in this country. It boasts of its top-quality education, with Scotland attracting more than 50,000 students annually from over 180 countries.
Universities in Scotland offer around 4500 courses in 150 subject areas at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. The country has been home to one of the oldest universities in the world since the 15th century. Nineteen world-renowned institutions in Scotland, recognized for their excellence in teaching and research facilities make it an ideal abode for international students. Some of the best universities worth taking note of are:
- University of St Andrews: Other than being the University where Kate Middleton and Prince William met, it has several other feathers in its cap! Founded between 1410 and 1413, it has been ranked as the best university in the UK by the Guardian University Guide 2022. With world-class education facilities and a flexible degree structure, the university has high student satisfaction, where 93% of the students gave the university top marks for the quality of the learning and teaching experience. The most popular and widely acclaimed courses of the University are Classics, International Relations, Geography, Economics, and Physics.
- University of Dundee: The city of Dundee is recognized by the United Nations as the UK’s first UNESCO City of Design for its diverse contributions to the fields including medical research, comics, and video games. The university is known for its student experience and records the highest overall satisfaction of any Scottish University.
- University of Edinburgh: Located in the heart of Scotland, the university was founded in 1583. The University is associated with 20 Nobel Prize winners and is ranked 4th in the UK in the quality and breadth of its research.
- University of Glasgow: Boasting of the most stunning campuses in the UK, 570 years old university is home to over 29,000 students. The university provides a warm atmosphere for international students and offers scholarships and international awards.
- The University of Strathclyde: Located in Glasglow, this world-class university offers the best research facilities and other leading academics and global business partners. It is considered a leading international technological university in the UK.
Other universities such as the University of Aberdeen, University of Stirling, Abertay University, and Royal Conservatoire of Scotland are worth checking!
The holistic growth of an individual is assured in a student-friendly environment offered in Scotland. The Scottish Universities have paved the way for innovations such as MRI scans and Key-hole surgery. Students are also involved in the development of video games, seismology, and discoveries in quantum physics. Blessed with the world’s most beautiful landscapes, the country has a few amazing sites to visit such as Edinburgh Castle, the Urquhart Castle, the Rosslyn Chapel, Mull of Galloway, and Luskentyre Beach, to name a few.
Studying in Scotland can be slightly taxing on the pocket. The tuition fee is estimated between 1000 GBP to 17,000 GBP per academic year. However, scholarships can make this slightly easy for you! Scotland offers a wide number of scholarships to Indian Students such as the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP), Saltire Scholarships, etc. For more information on scholarships, visit https://www.scotland.org/study/scholarships.
Going to a foreign place to study can be an exciting challenge. However, a culturally and academically rich experience provided by this beautiful country with friendly and welcoming individuals makes Scotland a home away from home. With excellent connectivity and transportation facilities, it becomes easy to reach the friendly hustle and bustle of the city. With over 350 festivals and exciting events all around the year, your time in Scotland will always be etched on your heart!
University Connection helps students with all of their key milestones like essay guidance, test preparation, applications, and more. Striving to be a third parent is never easy, but the team of counselors at UC will make your admissions process seamless.